Voted Best Personal Injury Law Firm By Georgia Lawyers
Rome, GA Personal Injury Lawyer
Matt Wetherington with Wetherington Law Firm,P.C. is the hardest working attorney I have ever worked with. He went above and beyond our expectations. Calls and emails are returned promptly and by Mr. Wetherington himself.
5 Stars is nowhere near enough to rate how awesome Matt and his colleagues were. They took my case even when I didn’t think there was anything we could do. I was in a bad situation at the time and Matt, Robert, and Sarah were there for me every step of the way.
I’m so grateful to Ben Levy and everything he did for me. He was truly dedicated to helping my case. Throughout the process, Ben was very thoughtful, responsive, organized, and made sure I was fully informed along the way.
Free Injury Lawyer Consultation
Personal injury occurs when someone is harmed due to another person’s negligence or failure to act responsibly. This includes situations like car accidents, slips and falls, or dog bites. Victims often face significant challenges, such as accumulating medical expenses, losing income due to the inability to work, and enduring physical and emotional distress.
Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 51-1-6) stipulates that if you are injured because of someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to seek compensation for your damages. This means if another person’s actions or inaction compromised your safety, they are liable to cover your medical costs and other related expenses.
To pursue compensation, you must demonstrate that the other party’s negligence directly resulted in your injuries. In Georgia, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the injury (O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33), highlighting the importance of taking timely action to secure your rights to compensation.
At Wetherington Law Firm, we understand the difficulties that come with personal injuries and the burden they place on victims and their families. Our experienced team is dedicated to guiding you through the legal process, ensuring you understand your rights, and aggressively pursuing the compensation you need to recover and move forward.
We have a successful track record of advocating for those wronged by others’ negligence. If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s lack of care, reach out to us. Let’s work together to secure the justice and compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation to explore all the options you have!
Understanding Personal Injury Claims in Georgia
In Georgia, personal injury claims are legal actions taken by someone who has been hurt because of another person’s carelessness or wrongdoing. This can happen in different situations, like car crashes, falls at a place that wasn’t kept safe, or getting bitten by someone’s dog.
The main idea is that if someone else didn’t do what they were supposed to do to keep you safe, and you got hurt because of it, you might be able to ask for money to help with your injuries and any money you lost because you couldn’t work.
Georgia law says you usually have two years from the day you got hurt to start a legal claim (O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33). This is called the “statute of limitations.” If you wait too long and try to start a claim after two years, you probably won’t be allowed to.
When you’re making a personal injury claim, you need to show that the other person wasn’t careful, and that’s why you got hurt. You also need to show how bad your injuries are. This might include how much money you had to spend on doctor visits, if you lost any money because you couldn’t go to work, and how the injury has made your life harder or caused you pain. In Georgia, you can ask for money for all of these things if you can prove your case.
Steps to Take After Suffering a Personal Injury
If you’ve been hurt in an accident in Georgia, here are some important steps to help you take care of yourself and protect your rights:
- Get Medical Help: Right after getting hurt, see a doctor or go to the hospital. Some injuries might not show up right away, but a doctor can check you out and start any treatments you need.
- Report the Accident: If your injury happened at a place like a store or someone’s house, tell the person in charge. If it was a car crash, you might need to tell the police.
- Take Photos and Notes: If you can, take pictures of where the accident happened and what caused it. Also, write down what happened and how you got hurt while it’s fresh in your mind.
- Get Information from Witnesses: If people saw what happened, ask for their names and how to reach them. They could help explain things later.
- Don’t Say Too Much: Be careful about talking too much about the accident, especially to insurance companies. They might try to use what you say to pay you less money.
- Keep Track of Your Injuries and Costs: Save all your medical bills and records, and notes about how your injury is affecting your life and work.
- Talk to a Lawyer: Personal injury laws can be tricky. Our lawyer can tell you if you might be able to get money for your injuries and help you through the process.
- Don’t Wait Too Long: Remember, in Georgia, you usually have two years to start a legal claim for your injury. If you wait too long, you might not be able to get help.
Compensation You Can Seek in a Personal Injury Case
If you get hurt because someone else wasn’t careful, you might be able to get money to help with different problems caused by the injury. Here’s what you can ask for:
- Money for Doctor Bills: This covers money you had to spend on doctors, hospital stays, medicines, and any treatments you need to feel better.
- Money for Work You Missed: If you couldn’t work because you were hurt, you can ask for money you lost from not being able to do your job.
- Money for Pain and Being Unhappy: Getting hurt can make you feel really bad and sad. You can ask for money because of the pain and not being able to enjoy things you used to do.
- Money to Fix or Replace Stuff: If your things got broken or lost because of the accident, you can ask for money to fix or replace them.
- Money for Travel to Doctors: If you have to travel far to see doctors for your injury, you can ask for money to help with those travel costs.
- Money for Future Problems: Sometimes injuries can last a long time or forever. You can ask for money to help with future doctor bills, losing money from work, and ongoing pain and sadness.
The Role of Wetherington Law Firm in Your Personal Injury Claim
At Wetherington Law Firm, we play a crucial role in helping you with your personal injury claim. Here’s how we can help:
- Understanding Your Rights: We explain your legal rights and what kinds of compensation you might be able to get for your injury. We make sure you understand each step of the process.
- Investigating Your Case: We look into what happened to you. This means getting evidence like photos, videos, and reports. We also talk to witnesses who saw what happened.
- Dealing with Paperwork: Legal claims involve a lot of forms and deadlines. We take care of all the paperwork for you, making sure everything is done right and on time.
- Talking to Insurance Companies: Sometimes, insurance companies try to pay less than what’s fair. We talk to them for you, making sure they see how serious your injury is and how it’s affected your life.
- Getting You the Most Money Possible: We work hard to get you all the money you should get for things like medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We’re good at negotiating and aren’t afraid to stand up to big insurance companies.
- Going to Court if Needed: If we can’t get a fair deal outside of court, we’re ready to fight for you in front of a judge and jury. We prepare a strong case to show why you deserve compensation.
What constitutes a personal injury claim?
A personal injury claim is when you ask for money because you got hurt and it was someone else’s fault. This can happen in different ways, like if you’re in a car crash, slip and fall at a store, or get bitten by someone’s dog. The main point is that another person or a company didn’t do what they were supposed to do to keep you safe, and because of that, you got hurt.
In these claims, you can ask for money to help pay for your doctor bills, the money you didn’t make because you couldn’t work, and for feeling really bad and hurt because of the injury. The law says that if someone else’s mistake causes you harm, you have the right to ask for help and get back what you lost.