Voted Best Personal Injury Law Firm By Georgia Lawyers
Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyers
I called Matt after several people recommended him. He was very kind and did a very good job on my son’s case. We are very thankful for the work he did. Most importantly, he was never hard to reach and answered every question we had while going through the process. Matt is the only attorney I will ever call in the future.
My husband is a cyclist that did not fair well against an SUV recently. Matt and his team took phenomenal care of us, allowing us not to stress out (too much) about the little things. Matt and his team handled everything with professionalism. We know we made the right call.
So glad I hired this firm after my rearend car accident. Matt embodies the skill set and values I was looking for. He treats every case like a mini war, and was a zealous advocate on my behalf. And he did so in the most competent and skillful manner. He listened, was empathetic and understood my legal and nonlegal problems.
My 85-year old mom was in a motor vehicle accident with an uninsured motorist. His love, thoroughness and commitment to her case helped us through this accident and her cancer treatment. She underwent successful lobectomy and chemotherapy and is doing exceptionally well. We are immensely grateful.
It was important to me to get the maximum money I could for my broken neck and arm. After getting jerked around for months by State Farm, I interviewed several firms and chose Mr. Wetherington. I’m glad I did. He forced the insurance company to pay twenty times their last offer to me.
It is an honor to share my experience with Mr. Wetherington. He was able to get answers about what happened in my son’s wreck that other attorney’s were not able to do. I am so thankful for the work that he did and he was very thorough in his explanation of why the vehicle had a “defect.”
My case did not settle. The person that hit me only had minimal policy limits. Fortunately, I had my own insurance, which should have provided more money. My insurance company, Allstate, treated me like garbage. We had to sue them and go all the way to trial, which we won.
- Jane Doe
Matt Wetherington is the attorney who is suing the booting companies. We need to do everything we can as a community to help him succeed. God bless you, Mr. Wetherington!
The best! Great people and always friendly.
Wrongful Death Lawyers in Atlanta, Georgia
Wrongful death occurs when an individual loses their life due to the negligent, reckless, or intentional actions of another party. It can arise from a myriad of situations including, but not limited to, medical malpractice, where healthcare providers fail in their duty of care; motor vehicle accidents, where drivers are irresponsible on the roads; defective products, where manufacturers release unsafe products to the public; workplace accidents, where employers neglect proper safety protocols; and criminal acts, such as violence leading to loss of life.
These avoidable tragedies leave families grappling with not only emotional devastation but also financial uncertainty, as they confront the untimely death of a loved one caused by circumstances that should have been prevented.
When a loved one’s life is tragically cut short due to the negligence or wrongful acts of another, the emotional and financial toll can be overwhelming. Our compassionate team of Atlanta wrongful death lawyers understands the profound impact such a loss can have on a family. Specializing in wrongful death litigation across Georgia, we are dedicated to providing the sensitive, yet assertive, legal representation needed to hold responsible parties accountable and secure the justice your family deserves.
Navigating the complex legalities surrounding wrongful death cases in Georgia requires not just legal acumen but a deep understanding of state laws and statutes. Our experienced wrongful death attorneys in Atlanta are well-versed in addressing the intricacies of these claims, ensuring that survivors receive fair compensation for their losses, including but not limited to, lost wages, funeral costs, medical expenses incurred prior to death, and the intangible loss of companionship.
Choosing the right legal counsel can be a deciding factor in the outcome of your wrongful death claim. There is nothing more devastating than losing a close loved one in an accident that could have been prevented with proper safety precautions. Our firm is here to help people get justice, accountability, closure, and the maximum financial support they deserve. If your family member was killed in an accident, we are here to help. Please contact our law office today to arrange a free, fully confidential consultation with a top Georgia wrongful death attorney.
We Provide Compassionate, Comprehensive Representation
We are devoted to providing justice-focused, results-driven legal advocacy to injured victims and their families. We are on the side of the people—not the large insurance companies. Our firm represents grieving families in wrongful death claims. We understand how emotionally difficult these cases are. In Georgia, a wrongful is defined as a death caused by negligence, a defective product, or a criminal act. Along with other types of cases, our Atlanta wrongful death attorneys have the skills and experience to help grieving families with:
- Motor vehicle accidents;
- Assault and crime incidents;
- Pedestrian collisions;
- Commercial truck accidents;
- Premises liability claims, including negligent security;
- Medical malpractice claims; and.
- Dangerous and defective products.
The Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Georgia
There is only a limited amount of time to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Georgia. The statute of limitations in these cases is typically two years from the date of the decedent’s passing. A family that waits too long to initiate a wrongful death claim could actually lose their opportunity to take legal action against the responsible parties. Do not wait to get started with the wrongful death claims process. The sooner you initiate a claim, the better position your family will be in to get justice. Our Atlanta, GA wrongful death lawyers are ready to take immediate action to protect your rights.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Georgia?
A fatal accident affects an enormous number of people. Unfortunately, not every person who had a close relationship with the victim has rights under Georgia’s wrongful death laws. Under state law (Georgia Code § 51-4-2), the eligible parties in a wrongful death claim are as follows:
- Surviving Spouse: The surviving spouse has the first right to bring a wrongful death claim, both on behalf of themselves and any minor children.
- Surviving Children: Surviving children of the deceased—including adult children—also have rights under Georgia’s wrongful death statute.
- Surviving Parents (If No Spouse/Child): If there is no eligible surviving spouse or surviving child(ren), then the parents of the victims can bring the claim.
If a person passes away due to negligence and they do not have a surviving spouse, child, or parents, then the wrongful death claim can be brought by their estate. The next-of-kin will generally be the primary beneficiary.
Understanding Damages in These Claims
Nothing can ever truly be enough to make up for the loss of a loved one in an accident that never should have happened. At the same time, families need justice and financial support. Under Georgia law (Georgia Code § 51-4-1), wrongful death includes the “full value of the life of the decedent, as shown by the evidence.”Damages that may be recovered through a wrongful death claim in Georgia are split into the following two categories:
- Economic Damages: Economic damages are tangible, out-of-pocket losses sustained by the victim and/or their surviving family members. Economic damages in a wrongful death claim in Georgia include medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, and other documented losses.
- Non-Economic Damages: In wrongful death claims in Georgia, non-economic damages are generally far larger than economic damages. Notable examples of non-economic damages include loss of love, loss of consortium, and loss of parental guidance and support.
Wrongful death claims are complicated. At Wetherington Law, our Atlanta wrongful death lawyers are committed to helping grieving families secure justice and accountability through a verdict or settlement that provides the maximum available financial support.
The Importance of Hiring an Experienced Atlanta Wrongful Death Attorney
Losing a loved one is heartbreaking, and if it’s because of someone else’s mistake, it’s even harder. An experienced Atlanta wrongful death attorney can really help families during these tough times. Here’s why they are so important:
- Understanding Complex Laws: Wrongful death laws can be hard to understand. A skilled lawyer knows these laws well, especially how they work in Atlanta.
- Investigating the Case: They have the tools to investigate what really happened. This helps in proving who is at fault.
- Representing Families in Court: If your case goes to court, you need someone who knows how to argue your side. An experienced attorney can do this effectively.
- Handling Paperwork: There’s a lot of paperwork in legal cases. A good lawyer takes care of this, so families can focus on healing.
- Fighting for Fair Compensation: They know how to calculate what families should get for their loss. This includes things like lost income, medical costs, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating Settlements: Sometimes, cases are settled outside of court. A skilled attorney can negotiate to make sure families get a fair deal.
- Giving Families Peace of Mind: Knowing a good lawyer is handling your case can give families some peace in a hard time.
- Holding the Right People Accountable: They make sure that whoever caused the death is held responsible. This is important for justice.
Contact Our Atlanta Wrongful Death Attorney Today
If you lost a loved one in an accident that could have been prevented, we are here to help you navigate the legal claims process. Contact us today to set up a free, strictly private initial consultation. From our Atlanta law office, we handle wrongful death claims throughout Georgia.