Voted Best Personal Injury Law Firm By Georgia Lawyers
Atlanta Boating Accident Attorney
Matt Wetherington with Wetherington Law Firm,P.C. is the hardest working attorney I have ever worked with. He went above and beyond our expectations. Calls and emails are returned promptly and by Mr. Wetherington himself.
5 Stars is nowhere near enough to rate how awesome Matt and his colleagues were. They took my case even when I didn’t think there was anything we could do. I was in a bad situation at the time and Matt, Robert, and Sarah were there for me every step of the way.
I’m so grateful to Ben Levy and everything he did for me. He was truly dedicated to helping my case. Throughout the process, Ben was very thoughtful, responsive, organized, and made sure I was fully informed along the way.
Free Injury Lawyer Consultation
Boating Accident Lawyers in Atlanta
With 110 miles of Atlantic Ocean coastline, 30 lakes, 14 major river basins, and countless inland waterways, it is no wonder that boating is a popular pastime in Georgia. The temperate climate even allows boating enthusiasts to enjoy their favorite activity most months of the year. However, it is important to keep in mind the risk of boating accidents.
According to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (GA DNR), there are around 115 boat collisions in the state every year, leading to 150 fatalities and injured victims. Plus, authorities issue almost 250 boating under the influence (BUIs) annually, so impairment is a major factor in these incidents.
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in a boating accident, you do have legal remedies under Georgia law. These incidents are usually preventable, so you may seek compensation from the at-fault party. The process can be complicated, so count on Wetherington Law Firm, to assist with important tasks. We have decades of combined experience representing accident victims, backed by in-depth knowledge of the laws. Please contact us to schedule a free consultation with an Atlanta boating accident attorney, and read on for a legal summary.
Liability for Boating Accidents
There are many different specific causes behind boat crashes, but negligence is the theory of liability for purposes of the legal process. To recover monetary damages, you must prove that the other boater caused the collisions through a failure to exercise reasonable care while operating the craft. One form of negligence was mentioned above: Boating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, which can have a significant effect on the operator’s ability to safely operate the vessel.
Some additional examples of boater negligence include:
- Traveling at speeds too fast for conditions;
- Not knowing how aids to navigation work;
- Operating a boat that is not seaworthy;
- Failing to carry proper safety equipment, including lighting, personal flotation devices (PFDs), whistles, and other gear required by law;
- Lack of experience operating watercraft; and,
- Many others.
In addition, keep in mind that there may be other potential parties besides the operator in a boating accident. A rental company that did not properly maintain the vessel and the manufacturer of defective boat parts are examples.
Types of Compensation in Boat Accident Cases
The purpose of damages in any personal injury case is to make the victim whole and as if the accident never happened, at least as much as practically possible. The point is to provide reimbursement for losses and the many ways boating accident injuries impact the victim’s quality of life. There are two types of compensation available in boat collision claims.
1. Economic Damages: This category includes your ascertainable losses, which can be measured by dollar value. Medical costs for emergency care, surgery, hospitalization, and other treatment are examples. Lost wages and out-of-pocket expenses may also be covered.
2. Noneconomic Damages: Some losses cannot be assigned a dollar value, but the consequences are significant for the quality of life. This category includes pain and suffering, emotional anguish, scarring and disfigurement, and others.
How an Attorney Assists With the Legal Process
Seeking compensation after a boat crash is similar to how you would approach an auto accident: You file a claim with the at-fault boater’s insurance company. These cases often settle out of court, but there can be challenges in dealing with an insurer. These companies protect their own bottom line, and your claim represents a financial loss. You may receive a denial or lowball counteroffer, at which point you will need to sue in court.
Our Atlanta boating accident lawyers at Wetherington Law Firm, will tackle all tasks throughout the process, including:
- Conducting an investigation and gathering evidence of fault;
- Reviewing your medical records;
- Completing all insurance claims forms and submitting them with supporting documentation;
- Consulting with medical experts to prove losses for noneconomic damages;
- Discussing settlement options with the insurance company to resolve your claim out of court;
- Filing a lawsuit in court to recover the compensation you deserve; and,
- Supporting your needs during litigation, including attending court appearances, filing and defending motions, handling discovery, taking depositions, and preparing for trial.
Skilled Boating Accident Representation on Atlanta’s Waters
At Wetherington Law Firm, our Boating Accident Lawyers specialize in representing clients involved in boating accidents on Atlanta’s waters. Navigating the aftermath of a watercraft accident can be as challenging as navigating the waters themselves. Our skilled attorneys bring a wealth of experience and a deep understanding of maritime and navigational laws specific to Georgia. We are committed to providing exceptional legal guidance to those who have experienced injuries or losses due to boating accidents.
Understanding the unique aspects of maritime incidents, our team works diligently to investigate each case thoroughly. We consider all factors, from boat operation and safety standards to environmental conditions, ensuring a comprehensive approach to your claim.
Whether you’re dealing with injuries, damage to your property, or loss of a loved one, our attorneys are equipped to handle your case with the utmost care and professionalism. We focus on securing the compensation you deserve, helping to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs.
We prioritize your recovery and peace of mind. Our dedicated legal team stands ready to navigate these complex cases and advocate on your behalf. If you or a loved one has been involved in a boating accident in Atlanta, reach out to us for skilled and compassionate representation. We’re here to steer your case towards a favorable outcome, allowing you to focus on healing and moving forward. Get in touch with our team today