Voted Best Personal Injury Law Firm By Georgia Lawyers
Macon Bus Accident Attorney
Matt Wetherington with Wetherington Law Firm,P.C. is the hardest working attorney I have ever worked with. He went above and beyond our expectations. Calls and emails are returned promptly and by Mr. Wetherington himself.
5 Stars is nowhere near enough to rate how awesome Matt and his colleagues were. They took my case even when I didn’t think there was anything we could do. I was in a bad situation at the time and Matt, Robert, and Sarah were there for me every step of the way.
I’m so grateful to Ben Levy and everything he did for me. He was truly dedicated to helping my case. Throughout the process, Ben was very thoughtful, responsive, organized, and made sure I was fully informed along the way.
Free Injury Lawyer Consultation
Experienced and Dedicated Macon Bus Accident Attorney
Bus accidents in Macon can be complex due to the size of buses and the number of people involved. These accidents often lead to serious injuries because buses are big and don’t always have seat belts. Causes can include driver errors, poor bus maintenance, or bad road conditions. When a bus accident happens, it’s not just the people on the bus who might get hurt; other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists can be affected too.
The law surrounding bus accidents in Macon involves several factors. Bus companies, including school and city buses, have a high responsibility to keep passengers safe. If an accident happens, the law checks if the bus company or driver did something wrong, like not keeping the bus safe or driving carelessly. Victims of bus accidents can ask for compensation for their injuries, but proving fault can be more complicated than in regular car accidents. This is because you might have to deal with big companies or government entities.
In a bus accident claim, you can ask for money for medical bills, lost wages if you can’t work, and pain and suffering caused by the accident. You need to show how the accident happened and that it wasn’t your fault. This often means dealing with the bus company’s insurance, which can be tough. They might try to pay less than what you need, so having good evidence and legal knowledge is key.
This is where Wetherington Law Firm comes in. We understand the laws about bus accidents in Macon and know how to deal with big companies and insurance. If you’re hurt in a bus accident, we can help you get the money you need to recover. We’ll handle the legal stuff, so you can focus on getting better. Our team is experienced, caring, and ready to fight for you. Trust us to be your partner in this tough time. If you need a Macon Bus Accident Attorney, Wetherington Law Firm is here for you, call us now.
How Common are Bus Accidents?
Buses are widely viewed as one of the safest forms of transportation. However, bus accidents occur far more frequently than many people realize. There are many different types of bus accidents. According to data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an average of 25,000 to 30,000 people are hurt in bus accidents nationwide each year.
We Handle the Full Range of Bus Accident Claims in Macon, GA
Wetherington Law Firm, is a boutique personal injury law firm devoted to providing top-quality legal representation to injured victims. You do not have to take on a big company alone. Regardless of the cause or severity of your bus accident, we are here to help. Along with other types of bus accident injury claims, our Macon attorneys have the skills and experience to handle:
- Commercial bus accidents;
- Public bus accidents;
- School bus accidents;
- Criminal assault on buses (negligent security); and
- Slip and fall accidents on buses.
Understanding Liability for Bus Accidents
Bus accidents are fault-based legal cases in Georgia. To hold a bus company—or any other party—legally liable for a bus accident, you must prove negligence. Notably, buses are common carriers in Georgia. In effect, this means that bus companies or public bus operators have a heightened responsibility to protect the health and well-being of their riders. Some common causes of negligence that contribute to bus accidents include:
- Untrained or undertrained bus drivers;
- Speeding by bus drivers;
- Other traffic violations by bus drivers;
- Distracted driving;
- Intoxicated driving; and
- Unsafe conditions on the bus.
Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 51-12-33), bus accident injury claims are subject to comparative liability. More than one party may be liable for the same bus accident. Each party to the crash will be held liable for their proportionate share of the damages. If you are held partially at fault for your own bus accident, your compensation will be reduced proportionally to your blame. All bus accidents should be thoroughly investigated by an experienced attorney.
Note: You can bring a personal injury claim against a public bus. That being said, Georgia has some specialized rules and regulations for personal injury claims involving government defendants. If you were hurt in a public bus accident—whether as a passenger, pedestrian, or occupant of another vehicle—our Macon attorneys can help.
What is the Statute of Limitations for a Georgia Bus Accident Claim?
Under Georgia law (O.C.G.A § 9-3-33), most bus accident injury claims are regulated by a two-year statute of limitations. However, if you are considering filing a claim against a public bus, you generally have just six months to file a notice of legal action with the responsible government entity. The sooner you get started with the claim, the better position you will be in to get justice. Consult with our Macon, GA bus accident lawyers today.
Recovering Compensation for a Bus Accident Injury in Georgia
Navigating the aftermath of a bus accident is never easy. Private bus companies, public bus operators, and their insurance carriers do not look out for the best interests of injured victims and their families. Our Macon bus accident lawyers go above and beyond to help injured victims maximize their recovery. Through a bus accident injury claim, you may be entitled to get compensation for:
- Property damage, including automotive repairs;
- Emergency room treatment;
- Hospital bills and other health care costs;
- Physical therapy and mental health support;
- Lost wages and loss of earning potential;
- Pain and suffering & mental anguish;
- Disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Get Help From Our Macon, GA Bus Accident Lawyers
At Wetherington Law Firm, our Macon bus accident attorneys are strong, experienced, and experienced advocates for victims and families. If you or your family member was hurt in a bus accident, we are here as a legal resource. Give us a call now or connect with us online for a free, no-commitment case evaluation. We handle bus accident injury claims in Macon, Bibb County, and communities beyond, including Lindale, Shannon, and Cave Springs.
Macon Bus Accident Attorney FAQs
What should I do immediately after being involved in a bus accident?
If you’re in a bus accident, it’s important to know what to do right away. Here are some steps:
- Check for Injuries: First, see if you or anyone else is hurt. If there are injuries, call 911 for medical help.
- Stay Safe: If it’s safe to do so, stay at the accident scene. If you’re in danger, move to a secure location.
- Report the Accident: Let the bus driver know, and make sure they report the accident. If the driver can’t help, call the police yourself.
- Gather Information: Get the bus driver’s name, the bus number, and the name of the bus company. If other vehicles are involved, get their drivers’ information too.
- Look for Witnesses: If people saw the accident, ask for their names and contact details. They could help later.
- Take Photos: If you can, take pictures of the accident scene, the bus, other vehicles, and any injuries.
- Seek Medical Attention: Go to a doctor, even if you feel okay. Some injuries take time to show up.
- Don’t Discuss Fault: Be careful not to talk about who was at fault for the accident while at the scene.
- Notify Your Insurance: Contact your insurance company to inform them about the accident.
- Consult a Lawyer: Consider talking to a lawyer who specializes in bus accidents. We can guide you on what to do next.
Who can be held liable in a bus accident case in Macon?
In a bus accident in Macon, a few different people or groups might be responsible:
- Bus Driver: If the driver made a mistake, like not following traffic rules or driving carelessly, they could be held liable.
- Bus Company: The company that owns the bus can also be responsible. This could be because they didn’t keep the bus safe or didn’t train their drivers well.
- Other Drivers: Sometimes, other drivers on the road cause the accident. If another car hits the bus or does something dangerous, that driver might be at fault.
- Bus Manufacturer: If there was something wrong with the bus, like bad brakes or faulty parts, the company that made the bus could be liable.
- Government Entities: For city or school buses, the government might be responsible. This can be more complex because of special rules for government-related cases.
Can I file a claim if I was a passenger in a bus accident?
Yes, if you were a passenger in a bus accident, you can file a claim. This is what you need to know:
- Passenger Rights: As a passenger, you have the right to be safe. If you’re hurt in a bus accident, you can ask for money to help with your injuries.
- Making a Claim: To file a claim, you need to show how you got hurt in the accident. This includes things like medical reports and pictures of your injuries.
- Who to File Against: The claim might be against the bus company, the driver, or someone else who caused the accident. It depends on who was at fault.
- Insurance Companies: Often, the claim is with the bus company’s insurance. They might talk to you about what happened and offer you money.
- Getting Help: Filing a claim can be hard, especially with big companies or government buses. Our lawyer can help you understand your rights and make sure you’re treated fairly.
How is a bus accident claim different from a car accident claim?
Bus accident claims are different from car accident claims in a few key ways:
- More Complex Liability: In bus accidents, figuring out who is at fault can be more complicated. The bus driver, bus company, or even the bus manufacturer might be responsible. Sometimes, it’s a mix of several parties.
- Different Insurance Policies: Buses usually have bigger insurance policies than cars. This is because buses can cause more damage and carry more people. Dealing with these policies can be more complex.
- More Passengers Involved: Bus accidents often involve more people. This means more claims and injuries to deal with at the same time.
- Government Entity Rules: If the bus is run by the city or school, special rules apply. Claims against government entities have different procedures and deadlines.
- Injury Severity: Injuries in bus accidents might be more severe because buses don’t always have seat belts. This can affect the types of compensation you can ask for.
How can I prove negligence in a bus accident case?
Proving negligence in a bus accident case involves showing that the bus driver, company, or another party didn’t take proper care and caused the accident. Here’s how to do it:
- Gather Evidence: Collect photos from the accident scene, your injuries, and any damages. Get a copy of the police report, as it can have important details about what happened.
- Witness Statements: If people saw the accident, their accounts can be crucial. Get their names and contact information.
- Bus Company Records: Check if the bus company has a history of accidents or safety issues. Maintenance records can also show if the bus was not properly cared for.
- Expert Testimony: Sometimes, experts like accident reconstruction specialists can help prove what happened and who was at fault.
Do I need a lawyer for a bus accident claim in Macon?
Having a lawyer for a bus accident claim in Macon is really important. These cases can be complex with many people involved and it’s not always clear who is at fault. Lawyers know how to deal with these tough situations. You might also have to deal with big bus companies or government entities, which can be intimidating. These organizations often have their own lawyers and may try to settle for less than you deserve. A lawyer can help protect your rights and make sure you’re treated fairly.
This is where Wetherington Law Firm comes in. We have experience with bus accident claims in Macon and understand how to navigate these cases. We can handle the legal details, like talking to insurance companies and negotiating settlements, ensuring you get a fair deal. Our team is dedicated to taking care of the legal aspects, so you can focus on your recovery. With Wetherington Law Firm by your side, you have a better chance of getting the support and compensation you need after a bus accident. Call our team today.