- Artificial Intelligence
- Car Accidents
- Class Action Lawsuit
- Comparative Negligence
- Crime Victim
- Defective Vehicles
- Kratom Death and Injury
- Legal Marketing
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Sexual Assault
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Even when you know car accidents are among the leading causes of death and injuries in the US, statistics on traffic collisions can still be shocking. According to the Georgia Department of Transportation (GA DOT), almost 1,500 people are killed, more than 111,000 victims require emergency treatment, and 7,300 individuals are hospitalized due to motor vehicle crashes every year. Unfortunately, these tragic incidents are on the rise. Over the last 5 years, the number of victims who suffer serious car accident injuries has spiked by 49 percent. Traffic crash fatalities also went up by half in the 10 counties that comprise the Atlanta region.
You may not give much thought to how collisions occur more frequently on certain roads, but there are some disturbing trends when looking closely at the data. This information might help you avoid the most dangerous routes and ensure you remain vigilant when driving them. It is critical to consult with an Atlanta car accident lawyer if you were hurt, but some information on the risks and tips on what to do is helpful.
Top Georgia Roads for Traffic Crashes
GA DOT statistics show that rural highways are slightly more dangerous for fatal collisions as compared to Atlanta and urban streets. The risk of auto accidents is higher on the following routes:
- On average, there are 110 deaths due to car crashes on Interstate 75 every year.
- Around 55 people are killed in collisions along Interstate 20 annually.
- Three dozen victims lose their lives in traffic accidents on Interstate 16.
- Approximately 15 individuals are killed along Georgia State Route 11 each year.
The data is concerning because I-75 and I-20 both run through Atlanta. Plus, State Route 11 lies just west of the city, running a total of 375 miles through the heart of Georgia.
What To Do if You Were Hurt in a Car Accident
You may qualify to recover compensation for your losses after a traffic collision, but you will need to prove that the other motorist was negligent by failing to exercise reasonable care behind the wheel. You must also show that you suffered losses, so the evidence is critical. Your car accident lawyer will handle the essential legal tasks, but you can support these efforts by following a few tips:
- Seek proper medical care right away, whether at the ER, an urgent care center, or your primary care provider.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all involved drivers.
- Avoid conversations about fault or how you think the collision happened.
- If contacted by an insurance company, decline to answer questions or provide a statement. You could reveal too much, potentially affecting your monetary damages.
Trust an Atlanta Car Accident Attorney to Protect Your Rights
If you were hurt in an auto crash, please contact Wetherington Law Firm, P.C. right away to set up a no-cost case review. You can speak to a Georgia car accident lawyer by calling (404) 888-4444 or visiting us online. After assessing your situation, we can advise you on what to expect in the legal process.